Sunday 15 December 2019

Announcing the release of "Othermind: Pipe Dreamer II"

Hello there!

Today is 10 days before Christmas and also the release of the game I've been working on all year which is "Othermind: Pipe Dreamer II". I was meant to put a pre-release blog but I had difficulty finishing it so I will put its contents into this release post as well as providing links to the game to play for yourself.

Credits to Joe for providing the animations, helping me with the tiles and transcribing my concept art (which will get a blog of its own after this one) into the ending sprites.

There are a lot of things I regret when doing this project, like getting an artist pretty late into development. Although I am thankful to them for allowing me to save mental effort in doing the animations, sometimes the artist would be distracted by something else and not work on the artwork or would not be on the same page as I am and sometimes cause me a bit of frustration in having to explain to him things. Don't worry, it's nothing too serious as it hasn't negatively affected our friendship. I feel like for any future projects he would be involved in, I should ask them to do artwork earlier so that when these things happen, there is still some buffer time.

Since I also spent the majority of Othermind's development working on magnum foundation and fixing bugs with it I had to remove some features to avoid burn-out like some of the mini-games. I'm hoping for future projects that use Magnum foundation, I don't have to spend as much time going back-and-fourth trying to implement features and fix bugs to make Magnum foundation cater for almost any game I can make.

Othermind's coding is also pretty messy since that ridiculous mistake I made by splitting one game into two - don't do it! It has some files that contain the same code as Magnum foundation, so I'll have to clear that up before uploading it to GitHub. Since I have a lot of time to work on Bounty Hunter III and already have made a good amount of progress on putting the maps into the game, I will also try to refactor the source code, much like what I did with Bounty Hunter 2 at the beginning of 2018. That will get its own post though.

I'm glad now that I can be more at ease with the fact that I don't have to think about this project anymore and work on Bounty Hunter III, Arm Strong's final episode, and other projects I may announce later on.

If you want to play this game head over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment